Thursday, July 7, 2011

6/3
PCMO (Peace Corps Medical Officer) said all of us need to be proactive about our mental health... so after a successful solo trip to the bazar (bought myself some fruits,veggies, eggs, and tupperwears. Not too exciting) I walked to the beach! Since I guess i'm the only person with nothing to do or the only one who doesn't know where the good beach is, I got to have a private beach party. Nothing like relaxing in the sand, drinking crystal light (thanks to the rents amazing carepack), and listening to the beach boys on my ipod. Mental health status for today: fantastic!
Side note: one perk about living in an apartment complex... full nights of sleep!!!! So far I have not been woken up multiple times a night to dogs barking over nothing or an early wake up call from farm animals!! absolutely heavenly!

6/4
Good time killer… hand washing my laundry even though they have a washing machine. Killed about a solid 2 and a half hours. I’ll be spending the rest of my day attempting to studying and probably going for a walk/ trying to figure out what this city has to offer. Yippee.
-after a relaxing my relaxing afternoon at the park with my ipod and peanuts, I decided to pick up some potatoes at the bazar so I could make home fries and eggs for breakfast. While at the bazar, I stuck up a conversation with the woman selling me my potatoes and she threw in a free onion. Going to use that “I’m a Peace Corps health volunteer and I will live here for 2 years,” line more often!
So excited to meet up with some site mates in Bolstery to check out the baraz tomorrow!!

6/6
“Happy Birthday” mom!! Hope it’s a good one lady! Enjoying an ice cream and the beach to celebrate her day.
BISHKEK TOMORROW!!! Spending the rest of the week at the Issyk-kul hotel for some fun meetings! So excited!!!!

6/11
I returned back to site last night after and amazing few days in Bishkek. The conference was very informative and worth while, now I just need to start writing grants and setting up education classes.
It was so much fun to spend 3 nights in the Issyk-kul Hotel with a bunch of k-18s and some of my k-19s. Not to mention, it was nice to get treated to delicious Kyrgyz food and the option to shower everyday.
After one of our conference days, a bunch of us roamed around the city! I still not an expert on how to navigate the city but at least I know some essential locations (begamot (the closest thing to McDonalds in country), the PC office, and Osh Bazar).
It was so nice to see my friends and spend time living the high life in Bishkek, but now it's time to get productive...

6/17
I officially have a rough draft of my personal two year plan!! I'm so excited to have an idea about the direction I want to take with my service. Now all I need to do is figure out how to make it all happen! Easier said than done.
It's been a great week back at site. I spent time with my sitemate, Lindsey and her visiting family. She took us to the cultural center in Cholpon-Ata. We lucked out and got an English speaking tour guide, so we were able to learn a lot about this fabulous country!
My site mate, Lola, who lives in the village of Sari-Oy (about a 20 minute taxi ride away), had all of us over for a dinner party! She did an amazing job cooking! I know the 6 of us are hoping that North shore dinner parties will become a weekly tradition!
It's finally Issyk-Kul welcome weekend time! So so so excited to meet everyone in the oblast and spend time with some old k19 friends in a beautiful beach house in Bolstery!

6/21
I think Issyk-Kul had the best welcome weekend ever! It was so nice to spend saturday on the beach (even though it was chilly from all the wind and dark clouds). A few of the volunteers were in charge of cooking meals and they all did an amazing job! We all couldn't help but eat too much haha. It was such a relaxing weekend that went by way too fast. Now I need to figure out when I will have time to travel to other parts of the oblast to visit everyone!

6/26
So glad my computer has viruses. One of my sitemate's, Bert, spent over 8 hours working on my computer for the price of omelet ingredients. I need to stick to internet cafes and hope my virus software picks up on things that infect my USB. Gotta love it.
Work at the hospital has been pretty uneventful. I got to sit in on meeting that was conducted in Kyrgyz, so I had no clue about what was going on. Whops. Maybe next time they'll have something in Russian.
Tuesday night was our weekly north shore dinner party and to no surprise it was a fantastic evening filled with Thai food! Sadly, most of the ingredients came from a care pack so it won't be something we'll be able to eat regularly. Either way it was a delicious treat and very generous of Lola to contribute to our meal.
A few of us had a great weekend hanging out in Lindsey's apartyment. The weather was gorgeous but sadly we didn't make it to the beach. Which is probably a good thing because it would have been crowded and we would have draw a lot of unwanted attention. That's life in the PC fish bowl.

7/3
I started Russian tutoring this week and it was rough. My tutor does not speak any English and talks so fast. After one hour I'm completely drained and in need of a nap haha. Lessons are only twice a week, so I guess it could be worse.
I also, started a women's club this week! It's a combo of a 30 minute workout class followed by a quick health lesson. We meet twice a week and so far so fun! I met with the director of the children's village of Cholpon Ata to set up the same concept for their kids and staff members. So, I'll be doing dacne classes for the girls , sports days for the boys boys, and fitness classes for staff members! I'm hoping that it will be as well receipted as my first group. Can't wait!
North Shore dinner was only a small group of us (half of our group was out of town for camps or family visiting). We still had a fun evening and looking forward to having everyone back at site.
Sadly, the weather has been crummy this week. Sunny and warm for a few hours and then cold and rainy. Not ok. My friend from Naryn came to Issyk-kul this weekend and it was unfortunate we all couldn't spend time at the beach but at least we all had fun hanging out at Lindsey's and getting delicious Korean food.
My host sister's 9th bday was this weekend so I made her mini cupcakes with the mini cupcake maker Lindsey inherited from a k17. Even though cookies are everywhere baking anything other than bread is not common thing to do in Kyrgyzstan. They were shocked that I knew how to bake and also interested in the mini cupcakes (since cupcakes don't exist here. Only cakes from the store).
Lindsey has the complete series of “Mad Men” episodes so we've been working on completing season one in our free time. She has successfully hooked me on the show!
Today, Lindsey and I went shopping at the bazar and of course it turned into an adventure. A lady, on vacation from Kazakhstan, asked if she could take a picture with us. Haha she was so excited to get to meet Americans .

7/4
HAPPY 4TH of JULY EVERYONE!!!! Always proud to be an American! Hope everyone has an amazing holiday and enjoys their grill out and fireworks!

7/8
Forth of July was such a blast! A bunch of us got together for some homemade potato salad, watermelon, hot dogs, and our attempt at blizzards! After our stomachs were nice and full it only seemed reasonable to sit on the beach and relax it off. The only thing missing from our mini American celebration was a beautiful display of fireworks (we'll have to buy a bunch at New Years and save them for the next forth of july celebration).
Usual slow week. Got some health work done, read Tina Fey's book, Bossypants, still working on my other book, Diffusion of Innovations, finished season 1 of Mad Men with lindsey, and getting excited to hike the Than Shun Mountains on Saturday with a few of my sitemates! Not a very exciting week but still a good one!
About 7 ½ weeks until I can move into my own apartment!!! So excited to have personal space and quite! Keep your fingers crossed I'm able to find one with a refrigerator (hot water heater would be amazing too but highly unlikely)!

Here is my address (if you send me something just print both the Cyrillic and English off...easier for the post office and will get to me faster.):

For Letters:

КЫРГЫЗСТАН
ОБЛ. ИССЫК - КУЛЬСКИЙ
Р/Н. ИССЫК - КУЛЬСКИЙ
Г. ЧОЛПОН-АТА
ДОВОСТРЕБОВАНИЯ
МЭДЛИН ЭНН МУДРOНИЯ

Madeline Mudronja
OBL. ISSYK-KUL
R/N. ISSYK-KUL
G. CHOLPON-ATA
DOVOSTREBOVANIYA
KYRGYZSTAN


FOR PACKAGES:

КЫРГЫЗСТАН
ОБЛ. ИССЫК - КУЛЬСКИЙ
Р/Н. ИССЫК - КУЛЬСКИЙ
Г. ЧОЛПОН-АТА
ДОВОСТРЕБОВАНИЯ
МЭДЛИН ЭНН МУДРOНИЯ

Madeline Mudronja
OBL. ISSYK-KUL
R/N. ISSYK-KUL
G. CHOLPON-ATA
DOVOSTREBOVANIYA
KYRGYZSTAN

No comments:

Post a Comment